1. The Farm Bill
Send an email to House Ag Committee Leadership
The House and the Senate have both passed their version of the 2018 Farm Bill. A conference committee is working to resolve differences between the two bills to reach a combined, final bill. As the committee works on this important resolution, it is critical that your Congress members know that investments in conservation and sustainable agriculture are important to family farms and ranches.
Let the Conference Committee know that you want a farm bill that authorizes strong and workable working lands programs by:
- Maintaining funding for conservation title programs, such as the Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP) and the Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)
- Protecting the nations largest resource conservation program on working lands, the Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)
- Maintaining provisions that make working lands programs more responsive to the needs of western landowners, such as improvements to the CSP.
- Providing opportunities for landowners to support at-risk species through the farm bill
Congress needs to hear about the importance of this program from landowners and managers. If you are inclined to do so, a quick e-mail to your congressmen would suffice.
- Find your Representative: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
- Find your Senator: https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
Read our July 2018 Farm Bill Update, with charts showing federal payments to EQIP and CSP in western states for fiscal years 2015-2017.
2. “Product of the USA” Labelling
Submit your comments on the petition
Petition for Change to the USDA-FSIS Standards and Labeling Policy Book on “Product of the USA”” The American Grassfed Association (AGA) and the Organization for Competitive Markets petitioned the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Services (FSIS) for a policy change to the FSIS’ Standards and Labelling Policy Book “Product of USA” entry. Currently, meat products may be labeled as a “Product of the USA” if the product is “processed in the US.”
- Agency: USDA-FSIS
- Link: https://www.regulations.gov/do
- Comments on the petition due by September 17, 2018
Send questions on this or other WLA policy updates to: Jessica@westernlandowners.org.
Western Landowners Alliance is a landowner-led network dedicated to the health and prosperity of working lands in the American West. Not yet a member? Join us!
By Kenyon Fields |
Stay up to date on policy changes and new developments.
Western Landowners Alliance will send you the latest developments and policy updates important to the economic and ecological health of working lands.
WLA works on behalf of landowners and practitioners throughout the West. We will never share your contact information with anyone. You can manage your subscription or unsubscribe at any time.