Ranch Hand/Cowboy – Working Cattle Ranch
Job Description: Working cattle ranch seeks motivated ranch hand to lead day-to-day operations. This role is suitable for a self-starter who can operate independently and maintain thorough reporting and daily logs. This is not just a cowboying role. Required skillset includes knowledge of cattle and horses and the scope of first aid and doctoring. This role will need to adapt to the shifting needs of the ranch outside of cattle care. This includes maintenance of ranch horses, equipment, pastures and irrigation, machine operation, and oversight of day laborers. Housing is included (on property) and is suitable for a couple or small family. Preference for a candidate with familiarity of Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) certification and practices. Need not apply if you require frequent travel, oversight or daily direction.
- Assist with cow herd (cow/calf, stocker/yearling/feedlot) health and maintenance, including, feeding, checking, caring for daily. Doctoring as needed.
- Maintain cleanliness throughout the ranch
- Assist with care and maintenance of ranch horses – responsible for exercising and keeping them in shape
- Work with ranch laborers/day workers as needed
- Check, maintain, build, and fix fences of all types, including pipe
- Waterline maintenance and repair
- Operate tractor with chopper/mixer
- Chop hay and mix feed ration
- Feed cattle in feedlot daily
- Chainsaw operation
- Operate skid steer
- Move pipes, operate pivots, and irrigate as needed.
- Clean debris from trash racks in the irrigation ditches
- Report to management weekly/as needed
- All other duties as they come up
- Must be familiar with Beef Quality Assurance practices and BQA
- Knowledge of cattle, vaccines, and illness; must be able to recognize a sick animal and doctor accordingly whether it be in the chute or from a horse.
- Physically be able to be on a horse daily, for long periods of time.
- Must be flexible and willing to adapt in a constantly changing work environment.
- Ability to work long hours as needed.
- Equipment maintenance and knowledge.
- Have basic knowledge of hay production, both alfalfa and grain hay.
- Able to work well with others.
- Must be willing to, and capable of, working alone.
- Must be a motivated self-starter.
- Desire to improve processes and efficiency throughout the operation.
- Must be willing and able to communicate through email and text.
To apply for this job email your details to MMcclintock@hugheswy.com