- This event has passed.
Gus T. Canales Lectureship on Prescribed Burning – TX
July 29 - August 1$500
This four-day lectureship is designed to teach the participant the safe use of fire as a rangeland and wildlife habitat management tool. It provides the formal training necessary to qualify the participant as a Certified Prescribed Burn Manager in the state of Texas.
Certified Burn Managers: There will be a one-day workshop held on Tuesday, July 30th for burn managers who are interested in receiving Continuing Fire Training (CFT) credits. Please contact the KRIRIM office at 361-593-5401 to receive the registration promotional code.
- Apply principles learned in classroom training in a hands-on prescribed burn
- Understand weather factors as they affect prescribed fire
- Develop a burn plan
- Identify the various techniques of prescribed burning
- Discuss fire behavior and how to control a fire
- Recognize the effects of fire on various vegetation types
- Understand the legal requirements for prescribed burning
- Become familiar with safety equipment and tools needed for prescribed burning
Sandra Rideout-Hanzak, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Animal, Rangeland, and Wildlife Sciences, Texas A&M University-Kingsville
Research Scientist, Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute